Leading and presiding at funerals combines a range of important skills and knowledge. This three-day course explores the practicalities around planning and leading a funeral – and combines this with the exploration of the basis behind grief and loss, and how the grieving person can be supported in a healthy way. If you feel called to learn more, this course can assist you with the tools to effectively preside at a funeral.
The practical skills offered include:
- dealing with loss and grief,
- visiting the bereaved family,
- talking sensitively of God and faith,
- relating with funeral directors,
- planning and conducting a service and
- engaging with cultural settings.
A full day of field trips to: a funeral director, crematorium and cemetery is also included.
If you are seeking authorisation to become a Lay Presider, please talk to your Presbytery’s Pastoral Relations Committee (PRC) before registering for this course.