The NSW/ACT Synod’s Mission Plan 2015 – 2017 includes witness as one of nine areas of discernment. Uniting Mission & Education has been given responsibility for working on the priority initiatives listed here.
We will encourage, call and equip people to be witnesses to Jesus in word and deed, through evangelism and acts of worship, service and social justice.
- Develop and facilitate a Synod-wide discussion about what is the Good News and how we proclaim Jesus in the 21st century.
- Provide resources for evangelism informed by the discussion in Initiative 3.1.
- With Presbyteries, support congregations and faith communities in at least one additional act of effective evangelism.
- Develop and offer training for effective engagement with social and local media and with the wider community, in particular younger people.
- Advocate and take action for the reconciliation and renewal of creation.
Ian Robinson has begun in his role at United Theological College as Alan Walker Lecturer in Mission, Evangelism and Leadership.
One of his roles is stimulating conversation on the Good news and how we proclaim Jesus in the 21st century. See Ian’s Makes You Wonder site at makesyouwonder.yolasite.com
United Theological College includes subjects in the BTh:
THL238 Mission, Evangelism and Apologetics (Ian Robinson) – running in Semester Two, 2016, Monday mornings
THL354 Youth, Culture and Mission (Duncan Macleod) – next intensive is in January 2017
and a subject in the Master of Ministry course:
MIN 522 Advanced Seminar in Mission and Evangelism (Ian Robinson) – extensive – two days seminars in July, August and September 2016.